In this post, you will learn:
- How turmeric helps acne-prone or sensitive skin
- Homemade turmeric face packs for acne
- Beauty tips and precautions when using turmeric face packs
This article is Part 3 in our series on how to use turmeric for face.
How does turmeric help in getting rid of acne?
If you are struggling from acne and have sensitive skin, turmeric is the answer. Due to its anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties, turmeric helps in preventing breakouts and also heal existing acne. In addition to being a great natural exfoliant, turmeric is high in antioxidants, which can help slow down your skin’s natural aging processes. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which may reduce some of the symptoms of acne.
5 homemade turmeric face packs for acne-prone skin
#1 Sandalwood and turmeric face pack
A sandalwood and turmeric (haldi) face pack will absorb any excess oil and make your skin smooth and non-greasy. It also acts as an exfoliator.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder and a pinch of turmeric powder in a bowl. Chandan (sandalwood powder) is enriched with several minerals that breathe life into the skin.
- Combine them and make a paste by adding rose water. Rose water contains anti-inflammatory properties that soothe irritated skin.
- Apply all over your face and keep it for 15 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Use this a couple of times a week.
#2 Milk, raw honey and turmeric face pack
Honey is an antioxidant that reduces inflammation and immediately calms the redness and irritation on the skin. The lactic acid in milk contains alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), which exfoliate dead skin cells that may clog pores.
- Mix ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder, ½ tablespoon of milk, and ½ tablespoon of raw honey.
- After the paste is ready, apply this pack all over your face and neck.
- Keep it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water. Use this pack 2-3 times a week.
#3 Gram flour (besan) and turmeric face pack
Acne is a persistent skin problem and those who suffer from it know how difficult it is to treat. Gram flour (besan) has certain properties that treat acne. This facemask is good for curing acne and pimples.
- Make a smooth paste with 1 tablespoon of besan, ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and ¼ tablespoon of rose water.
- Apply on face and neck and leave to dry for 20 minutes.
- Scrub by making it wet for the next 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water. Repeat this process once a week.
#4 Tea tree essential oil and turmeric face pack
Tea tree oil is distilled from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia plant, which is found in Australia. The oil possesses antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antifungal properties.
- You will need, ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, two drops of tea tree essential oil, 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients to make it a paste.
- Apply the mixture properly all over the face and then wait until it dries.
- Use a warm wet cloth to remove the mask.
- Repeat three to four times a week.
Find out more pimple remedies: Tea Tree Oil for Acne
#5 Aloe vera, yogurt, fuller’s earth and turmeric face pack
Aloe vera’s antibacterial qualities make it effective to treat acne. It also promotes collagen synthesis and helps in fast healing of wounds and scars. This property is beneficial in healing acne scars.
- To make this turmeric face pack, mix 2 teaspoons of fuller’s earth, 1 teaspoon of yogurt, half teaspoon of aloe vera gel and a ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a bowl to form a paste.
- Apply the pack all over the face and keep it for 20 min.
- Rinse it with cold water.
- Repeat this process thrice a week.
Psst… you can also slice a cucumber and place it on your eyes to refresh your eyes.
Tips and precautions to remember when applying turmeric on face:
- Always perform a test on the arm to observe if you are allergic to any ingredients.
- Turmeric is a natural dye. It stains clothes, hands or anything that are exposed to it. Use gloves while applying its mixtures.