This is the third post in our series – What to Wear to Winter Weddings.
You have to be warm to survive an Indian winter wedding, but how do you still look fabulous?
The basic rules for staying warm at winter weddings are:
- The Obvious: Full-sleeves, warm fabrics, juttis and shawls.
- Some lesser known “secrets”: hidden thermals, the way you style your dupatta, heavily embroidered shawls that double us as dupattas.
We saw what hundreds of wedding guests have worn over the years, and picked out the best ideas on how to style it right – so that you stay warm, while staying stylish!
Idea #2: Long-Sleeve Kurtas
1. Kurta with sharara – easy to add thermal leggings underneath
2. Super short, almost blouse-length kurta with sharara, in pastel shades
3. Matching benarsi silk brocade kurta & sharara (no need for a dupatta!)
4. Flared benarsi silk brocade kurta with sharara
5. Plain matka silk kurta with sharara
6. Peplum style kurta with lehenga
7. Benarsi silk brocade kurta with matching straight cut pants!
8. Silk satin kurta with brocade pants (if you want to tone it down)
9. Short kurta with a cowled skirt
10. Meenakari silk benarasi dupatta with tanchoi kurta
Add a literal blazer jacket to your lehenga like Rhea Kapoor did
Or use it as a shrug over your blouse, bomber jacket instead of a blouse, pair a silk trench coat with a sari – read more about how to style your jacket with your winter wedding outfit.
Idea #4: Style a Shirt
1. A silk shirt with a lehenga, given the Indian treatment with layered necklaces
TIP: If you’re pairing a lehenga with your shirt, keep them in the same colour palette to make the look work
2. An embroidered georgette shirt with a choker necklace & threadwork lehenga skirt
3. Plain raw silk shirt with brocade silk lehenga
4. Balloon sleeve shirt in a complementary colour with a printed sari
Peplum full-sleeve blouse with lehenga
See more full-sleeve blouse design ideas for winter weddings
Idea #6: Stylish Shawls & Dupattas
The trick lies in how you style it!
1. When it comes to shawls, choose a wedding-worthy embellished one (like this brand Janavi has!)
2. Add a plain shawl under embroidered net dupatta of same shade!
3. Tuck the dupatta into a belt when you’re in a full-sleeve blouse
4. Drape a dupatta over both shoulders and let it drop open on both sides to keep snug
5. Wrap the dupatta over both shoulders
6. A slightly different way to drape a benarsi silk dupatta
7. Another unique way to drape a dupatta all around
8. This dupatta draping style looks perfect with a sharara
9. Drape a pretty shawl with a sari like this
10. Another dupatta draping style that works well for older women
Idea #7: Layer Pretty & Warm Fabrics
1. Velvet Kurtas
2. Head to toe velvet done right with an ensemble like this
3. Raw silk lehenga & blouse with velvet dupatta
5. Benarsi silk dupatta with raw silk embroidered lehenga & blouse
6. Benarsi silk lehenga with silk satin dupatta
7. Velvet full-sleeve blouse with fur dupatta!
We hope that you stay super warm yet super stylish this wedding season with the help of these styling tips.
Next post: Outfit Ideas for Brides to Wear to their Winter Weddings!