Save on Pennies, Not On Style: This is the Ultimate Guide to Renting Indian Wedding Clothes for Wedding Guests, Bridesmaids AND Brides!
We picked the BEST websites that rent everything from bridal lehengas to light lehengas, dhoti pants to gorgeous gowns and even saris! We’ve covered everything – where you’ll find A-list designers, who has the best collection for bridesmaids, delivery locations, rental prices and policies for trials & alterations!
Dreaming of wearing a Sabyasachi or Anushree Reddy outfit to your bestie’s (or your own!) wedding, but the fat price tags pulling you down?
With so many weddings to attend every year and all the pictures going up on social media, there is always this fear of repeating the outfit one too many times.
Which is why we love the idea of renting wedding dresses! These days, name it and you can rent it. That lehenga/saree/dhoti pant you fancy can be rented for just 10-15% of the MRP!
There are plenty of websites you can rent from, but we picked out the best and give you a low-down on each of them.
First, here are some basics about renting wedding dresses online in India
- Will I get a good fit? All wedding outfit rental websites take your measurements to give you a good fit
- Can I try the outfit? Trials at home cost extra (between Rs.200-500), except for Flyrobe (free trial)
- Hygiene: All of them dry-clean and steam press the outfit before delivery
- Payment & Security Deposit: Can be made online, and about half of them offer COD option. All charge security deposits (except Liberent) – typically equal to the rent cost
- Shipping: All online stores offer free home delivery & pick up (except for The Clothing Rental)
The Best Websites To Rent Wedding Outfits In India
For brides, bridesmaids and female wedding guests
Flyrobe has the largest collection of wedding outfits for brides and bridesmaids, ranging from classy to sassy. From heavy traditional lehengas to cold shoulder fusion outfits, you can find it all at Flyrobe. They’re the only website that will take measurements personally (via a visit to your home) at NO extra charge, and alters happily as long as it’s possible.
A-List Designers? Yes, everyone from Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Anita Dongre, Shantanu & Nikhil
Other Designers Available For Renting: They’ve done a great job at curating the best across all budgets –
- The best mid-range designers (Divya Reddy, Prathyusha Garimella, Kalki, Masaba Gupta, Ohaila Khan)
- to even lesser-known boutiques from Delhi & Mumbai (Avnni Kapur, Chamee & Palak, Daddy’s Princess by Priyanka Jain, 6Y Collective, Azra, Niyoosh, House of Ombre)
How Much Does It Cost To Rent? You can rent a wedding lehenga for as little as 4,000, but if you want a Sabyasachi or Anita Dongre lehenga, it will cost you between 12,000-30,000. We also found this Masaba Gupta sari, that Kareena Kapoor made famous, that you can rent for just 2k!
Best For: Brides, bridesmaids, wedding guests, sister and mother of the bride and groom – basically, everyone attending a wedding! Gowns, light and heavy wedding lehengas, shararas, capes – you can find everything under the sun here.
Physical Store? Yes! Find their list of stores here
Trials & Alterations:
- Send your measurements to them online, or they’ll come to your home to take measurements (at NO extra charge)
- Custom-fitting available for bridal outfits!
- If delivered outfit doesn’t fit, they’ll re-alter quickly if possible
Delivers To: Delhi/NCR, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune, Kolkata
Rent Period: 4, 6 or 8 days
#2 Stage 3
Stage3 has curated the best A-list designers (Sabya, Anamika Khanna!) in India and has the biggest collection from them – they only rent out designer wear dresses. Fashionable designer wear is available to rent at great prices, for both bridesmaids AND brides!
A-List Designers? Yes! From the biggest names – Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Anamika Khanna, Anushree Reddy, Raw Mango – to smaller A-list labels – Prathyusha Garimella, Ridhima Bhasin, Ridhi Mehra, Aastha Narang, Payal Singhal & Ridhima Bhasin, everything here comes with a designer tag.
How Much Does It Cost To Rent: You can rent a Sabya lehenga for Rs.8,000! And this simple Anarkali gown that’s perfect for your friend’s cocktail for Rs.14,00!
Best For: All kinds of Indian wedding outfits for brides, bridemaids and wedding guest!
Physical Store? Yes! At 2, Hauz Khas Village, New Delhi – you can head there for a free personal styling session and get measured before you rent
Trials & Alterations:
- Send measurements online or book a Try On session at Home (only for Delhi residents, who can try 2 outfits at home by paying Rs.200 extra)
- For Delhi, they will re-alter if you’re not happy with the fit. For other cities, they’ll just refund the amount to you.
Delivers to: Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Pune, Jaipur, Lucknow, Nagpur, Ahmedabad and Ludhiana
Rent Period: 3 or 6 days
#3 Rent A Closet
Rent A Closet has a decent collection of outfits to rent, but options are limited to only a handful of pieces available per designer. What’s great is that they rent out jewellery (although variety available is small) so you can rent your entire look from one place! Security deposit is only half the rent cost.
A-List Designers? Yes. Varun Bahl, Anamika Khanna, Ridhima Bhasin, Preeti S Kapoor, Shantanu & Nikhil, Anju Modi, Rimple & Harpreet Narula
Other Designers Available for Renting: A gem we found is a designer label named Aarna – check out this pink princess gown for 7k!
How much does it cost to rent? A Ritu Kumar suit can be rented for as little as 3k and an Anju Modi lehenga for 14k! We found a Shantanu & Nikhil black off-shoulder gown that we loved – it can be rented for 11k.
Best For: A bride looking for designer wear for her smaller functions, and a bridesmaid looking for designer wear dresses for all wedding functions + renting mathapattis, naths and earrings you’ll only wear once
Physical Store? Yes! You can book a free trial at their store in Epicuria Mall, Nehru Place, New Delhi
Trials & Alterations:
- Send them your measurements online, OR book a free trial in their Delhi store, OR a paid trial at home (anywhere in North India) for an additional Rs.500
- They will re-alter once (extra charges apply unless the “mistake” is at their end)
Delivers to: Delhi/NCR only
Rent Period: 3 or 6 days
#4 Rent it Bae
Rent it Bae has a great number of options from heavy to light wedding outfits (AND jewellery + clutches!) if you don’t need an A-list designer tag. We particularly love the jewellery pieces.
A-List Designers? Yes, a small number with limited options by each designer
Other Designers Available For Renting: Better to explore boutiques listed with them such as Violet by Preeti Singhal, Niaj and Ridhi Bansal
How much does it cost to rent? Gowns in the Rs. 2,500+ price bracket, light lehengas between 2,000-4,000, 2-4k for a decent sari, Rs. 600 for a wedding-worthy clutch
Best For: Wedding guest outfits (such as this Niaj black gown you can wear to any Cocktail wedding function), saris and gowns
Physical Store? In West Delhi only – you can pick 7 outfits (in advance) to take a trial there
Trials & Alterations:
- Send your measurements online
- For Delhi only – ask for a trial at home (of 2 outfits) for Rs.199 extra. Once outfit is delivered, delivery person can wait upto 10 mins whule you try – return if it doesn’t fit. They’ll send another outfit in 2 hours, or you get a refund.
- For other cities – no re-alterations available
Delivers to: Delhi/NCR, Chandigarh, Ludhiana, Jaipur, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru
Rent Period: 4 Days
Liberent is great for affordable rental outfits, especially light lehengas and Indo-western gowns. What’s different about them is that you can choose a back-up dress (details under Trials & Alterations section)! Online payments only, no COD. Doesn’t require a security deposit.
A-list designers? No
Other Designers Available For Renting: No high-end names, only keep their own designs
How much does it cost to rent? Rs. 1500-4500 for lehengas, saris between 500-1000
Best For: Light lehengas, anarkalis and saris for wedding guests & bridesmaids
Physical Store? No
Trials & Alterations:
- Send measurement online
- Backup dress option: they’ll deliver both and you can keep the one that you prefer (or the one that fits better) at an extra 20% charge of rent price
- For Hyderabad only, you can book them for a home trial session 2-3 days before your event so you can check the fit (at Rs.350 extra charge)
Delivers to: Mumbai, Chennai, Bangaluru, Pune, Hyderabad, Coimbatore, Kolkata, Kochi, Mysore
Rent Period: 3 days (the outfit will be delivered to you one day before the event)
#6 The Clothing Rental
The Clothing Rental is a surprisingly good (albeit expensive) find, especially the gorgeous gowns and pretty lehengas! While Indian wear options are limited, they’re pretty. They keep very nice saris, trendy Indo-western gowns, lehengas and jewellery. Overall, they are one of the few who keep the latest trends. Online payment only, no COD; delivery charges extra.
A-list Designers? No
Other Designers Available For Renting: We only spotted some Payal Singhal pieces, but even those were from a really old collection. The best picks here are, in fact, from their in-house label “TCR”
How Much Does It Cost To Rent? It’s definitely on the more expensive side, with non-designer lehengas costing 8-10k to rent (saris: 3,500-5,000; Indo-western gowns: 2,500). We found a mint dhoti drape Anarkali, for 3k, that’s a good pick for wedding guests. Gowns, for your reception or White Wedding, cost 10k. Kundan earrings (1k rent) and jewellery sets (upto 3,500) are worth renting from here.
Best For: The bride looking for her Reception, Cocktail or Christian wedding gown. Look for them under the Gowns section, NOT Indo-western gowns. Also good for Indian wedding dresses for bride’s sister (or besite) and sister of the groom dresses.
Physical Store? Yes. 2 in Mumbai – Bandra & Versova.
Trials & Alterations
- Important to read the Descriptions for every outfit, to understand the size available with them.
- Best to give them a call and understand sizing & discuss alterations. We recommend renting for a wedding from here only if you’re based in Mumbai (you can easily visit the store). For other cities, re-alterations are not possible.
Delivers to: All over India
Rent Period: 5 days
That wraps up the most comprehensive guide to renting clothes for weddings you’ll find online!
#Protip for Serial Wedding Attendees:
- IF you’ve got a ton of weddings to attend this season,
- AND you rent an outfit for every single event across multiple weddings,
- AND your tastes are on the expensive side (Anushree Reddy, Sabyasachi, etc)…
- THEN costs quickly start adding up!
Instead, invest in a few classic outfits (a sari that can be styled in multiple ways, a black anarkali for Cocktails) and then rent a few pieces to create a different look to your wardrobe for every wedding.
We hope you’ve found our guide helpful. Don’t forget to share it with any brides and friends of the bride/groom you know!
Have you ever rented Indian wear from these websites?
We’d love to hear about your experience!
Find more wedding fashion inspiration here.
BONUS! For the outfits you do want to buy for your wedding wardrobe, Delhi’s Shahpur Jat market has some of the best boutiques for bridal wear. Urbanclap’s in-house Bridesmaid picks out the best places to shop for wedding clothes in this video –