The water purification process is best done through a reverse osmosis system. It uses the principle of osmosis and reverses the process. At times, they can be permanent, and replacing an entire system would be counterproductive. Read on to find out some tips and ways to maintain your water purifier.
How To Maintain Your Water Purifier
1. Changing RO filters on a regular basis
A water purifier generally has three to five filtration stages. The filters need to be changed periodically as they become filled with impurities and stop working.
- The pre-filtering stage consists of a filter cartridge that leaves out sand and other sediments. The pre-filtering stage prevents the reverse osmosis membrane from getting damaged. You must change the pre-filter cartridge every six to nine months.
- The second phase of the filtration process is a carbon filter that removes chlorine and bad odour. Chlorine also potentially damages the RO membrane and must also get changed periodically, after every six to nine months.
- The third phase is the reverse osmosis stage where the residual sediments are excluded from the membrane and drained. You can replace this membrane after two to three years. Either do it yourself or call RO experts from Urban Company to fix this. The condition of the RO membrane also depends on the quality of your local water supply.
2. Cleaning and sanitisation
The water purifier must be cleaned well by professionals as the system can get ruined during disconnection of the RO tank. Basically, your water purifier needs to go through a sanitisation and a recharge once every year. Specific sanitisation kits are also available and they can be purchased through various online stores if you feel like doing it manually. A user manual also comes with the water purifier system. In case you have lost it or have not been provided with one, here are the instructions for you: Begin by shutting off the mains supply of the water tank and then turning off the water supply from the shut-off valve. After that, the receiving water line connected to the RO tank is released by a wrench. You can use the sanitisation kits for cleaning the insides of the tank. After cleaning, you need to reassemble the storage tank and finally, turn the water supply back on. You should avoid drinking the water right after reassembling the system.
[Also read:5 Most Common Problems With An RO System And Their Solutions]
3. Installing a softener for extra efficient functioning
Softeners work great with a water purifier systems because the RO membranes are delicate in front of water-hardening minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Together with an RO membrane, softener safeguards and extends the durability. You might also observe the corrosion caused by hard water in your own home. Adding softeners can be difficult as you need to know where to install it. Generally, professionals are required to do this process – some heavy amount of plumbing is needed as the softeners have to be placed at the point where the water gets into your house.
4. Keeping the exteriors of the water purifier clean
In order to make your system last longer, for around 12 to 15 years, you need to clean it. Using some soapy water from the outside of the water purifier quite regularly also does the job. Also, make sure you keep cleaning the tap that is attached to the water purifier often.
At Urban Company, you can find professionals who would come to your home and provide the necessary help to elongate the durability of your water purifier. Some of the procedures can be done by yourself but you also run the risk of ruining it while reassembling the system. You do not have to worry about having the perfect-sized wrenches while disengaging the tank from the water supply. We also provide organic ssanitizingmaterials that clean the insides of your tank.
[You might also want to read: 4 Factors To Consider Before Buying A Water Purifier]