Vastu Shastra, traditionally known as the Indian Science of Architecture, is 5000 years old. The literal translation of the term ‘Vastu Shastra’ is ‘science of construction’ and offers a detailed version of dos and don’ts for lands and constructed buildings. People often regard it as a manuscript for bringing positivity to the home environment, increasing earning potential and ensuring good health for those who live there.
Vastu Shastra is essential to building a structure, from residential to commercial properties, and with the correct placement of the five elements (namely earth, water, air, fire, and space), owners can achieve prosperity and happiness. Also, directions play a vital role in the science of architecture. The teachings suggest if we respect and idolize the God of Eight directions (North, South, East, West, North-East, South-East, South-West, North-West), we bring in success, health and prosperity.
Here are 20 tips for a healthy, happy atmosphere according to Vastu:
Vastu Tips for Kitchen
To have a Vastu-approved kitchen; key elements are the colour scheme and the direction.
- While the south-east direction of the kitchen is considered idyllic, bright colour combinations help activate the fire elements.
- You can choose from shades of yellow, light pink, peach, or brown to brighten this area of the house. It would help if you avoid the shades of black or red.
- As the food we eat gives energy, it must be prepared in a positive environment. Hence, the cook must face East while cooking to ensure good health.
- Keep the cooking gas burner in the south-east direction, washbasin or sink in the north-east, and grain jars or those of spices in south or west direction.
- Pro-Tip: Never keep the kitchen slab or the utensils dirty overnight. Clean them before going to sleep.
Vastu Tips for Bedroom
The bedroom is the most crucial part of our home as we need our daily dose of good sleep to wake up refreshed. Sleeping in the wrong direction could lead to illness. Hence, follow these simple tips to Vastu-proof this space:
- Keep the bed, especially in the master bedroom, towards the south or west direction. This ensures your legs face towards north or east direction. It helps in improving mental well-being, brings prosperity, and even improves the quality of sleep.
- Mirrors must never face the bed, which means one should not have the reflection of them while sleeping. Hence, place them on the north or west wall.
- Choose colours which indicate warmth, ambition, peace, and stability such as red/pink, orange, white, and brown (respectively).
- You should avoid placing windows behind the bed, rather try placing them on the eastern or northern walls.
- Pro-Tip: For keeping your bedroom as prosperous and as peaceful as you like, keep it clutter-free always. If required, fill cabinets, empty spaces, or storage organizers with meaningful things and not unnecessary items.
Tips for Bathroom/Toilet
According to the ancient science of architecture, toilets and bathrooms are the greatest sources of negative energy flowing into the household. Hence, they must be designed as per Vastu Shastra only. Here are some key tips for healthy sanitation:
- Toilets and bathrooms must face the north-west direction of the home and never share a wall of the kitchen or the Pooja room and they should also not be placed under the stairs.
- Avoid constructing the toilet in any other position than the west or north-west, as it is used to discard waste.
- Correct colour schemes for toilets are light pastel shades like pink, grey and light blue.
- For mirrors, you could use the north or the east wall, and you could place your washbasin accordingly.
- Pro-Tip: In case of an attached toilet, avoid the south-east or south-west corner of the room.
Tips for Worship Room
The Pooja room should always be placed in the north, east, or the north-east direction. While praying, you should face the east/north wall. Did you know, there should not be any idols in the pooja-ghar? However, if you wish to keep them, ensure they are not chipped or broken. Here are more tips to make it the most prosperous corner of the home:
- If you have multiple floors in the house, the pooja-ghar should be ideally designed on the ground floor, but it should never be built in the basement.
- If you must keep the idols in the pooja room, ensure that they do not face east or the door and must not be placed adjacent to a wall.
- The room should only be used for worshipping God and nothing else. Avoid storing too much stuff that you don’t need otherwise in or around the pooja ghar.
- Colour families of white, blue, yellow or anything relaxing should be used for this room.
- Pro-Tip: Vastu Shastra does not allow paintings that depict violence or those of the deceased family members as it does not consider them equal to God.
As per traditional philosophy, every object in a house brings in energy, positive or negative, and the person living their dwells on that particular energy. If contrary, it leads to losses, failures in relation, bad monetary deals, and much more and if positive, it could bring happiness, enlightenment, and productivity. Hence, it is important to focus on key Vastu elements for healthy and happy homes.