Painting a house can be fun but it can also be quite a daunting task to complete. Homeowners who choose to paint their own houses constantly look for tips and tricks to make their job simpler. If you too are planning to put on the painter’s hat, we have some very useful tricks for you. Use them to paint your house like a pro!
Top painting tips for your house
With every activity now turning into Do-It-Yourself (DIY) projects, why should the painting be left behind? Listed below are the most useful tips and tricks for painting your house. But even if you plan to hire a professional painter, these tips will help you get the job done right. Take a look:
- Buy good paint: Do you know what makes a professional paint job look so good? It is simply the use of good quality paints. If you want to paint your house like a pro, make sure you get the best materials. A good paint may cost a little more, but it will last longer and will also look much nicer than a cheaper alternative.
Also Read: How to Pick the Right Paint for your Home
- Invest in good brushes: Then, you need to invest in some good brushes. If the brush you use is of an inferior quality, it will show on the paint job and rob your house of the elegance that it deserves.
- No need to scrape off old paint: If you have bits and pieces of old paint peeling off, then you definitely have to scrape that off. However, it is not mandatory for you to scrape off all the old paint. Doing this can get very frustrating and take up a lot of your time and energy. It is perfectly fine to paint on another coat of existing paint, as long as the bottom layer is smooth and firmly held to the wall. This works well especially if your previous colour is a light shade and you wish to apply something darker this time around.
- Buy all the paint together: Before you begin, get a proper estimate of how much paint you would need for the whole house. Buy all the paint together and mix them if you need to. If you do this in batches, you may find it difficult to match the exact same shades later, making your walls inconsistent with respect to colour. When hiring painters, this aspect becomes crucial as sometimes the calculations go off and you are left with differing colour shades. So, plan in advance.
- Paint on a dry day: It is highly advisable to paint your house on a dry, sunny day. Try not to do the job when it is raining outside or when the humidity levels are generally high. This will make it very difficult for the paint to dry. And it will also take a longer time as you will have to wait for the bottom coats to dry before you apply the upper coats. So, pre-plan the job and schedule it for a time of the year when it is usually hot and dry.
- Cover everything: This is an extremely handy tip. You must cover everything before you begin painting. From something as large as your dining table to something as small as a switch board, everything needs to be covered up before you begin painting the house. If you leave anything uncovered, you will very likely get paint all over it. Not only will that make the place look messy, it will take a lot of effort to clean it.
Also Read : How To Prepare Your Room Before Painting
- From top to bottom: Always remember to paint from top to bottom. This will give a uniform and truly professional look to the walls. If you just make random strokes with the brush, the paint job will look messy and untidy. So always take your brush from the top to the bottom.
- Spray when possible: Spray painting is a wonderful trick to use if you are painting a large space. It saves you time, gives a more uniform finish and saves you a lot of hassle too. You can finish the job up by using a brush to paint the borders and other small areas. But the larger job can be done with a sprayer.
- Get help: It is not easy for an amateur to paint a house like a pro without any help. So be a little realistic and get some help. If you have grown-up kids, ask them to assist you. You can also ask a friend or a relative to step in and help you finish the job. If you feel you have bitten off more than you can chew, you can always hire a painter from Urban Company.
- Carry out a thorough inspection: After the job is done and before the paint dries off completely, run a thorough inspection of the walls. If you notice any blemish on any wall, patch it up quickly. It is always easier to patch up when the paint is still wet than after it has dried off.
Keep these tips and tricks in mind and you will surely be able to paint your house like a pro. Don’t get intimidated by the task. Remember, you can pull it off if you do it systematically. So, what are you waiting for? Grab the cans and brushes and make your home colourful right away!