Diwali is the most-awaited festival in India. It is a time to celebrate, to feast and to embrace the love and togetherness of friends and family. It is also an auspicious time when Goddess Lakshmi is believed to grace our homes. So, as both earthly and celestial guests are going to come visiting, it’s important that your house be spic and span. Therefore, hiring some good house cleaning services before Diwali is a vital thing to do.
Getting ready for Diwali
Cleaning the house before Diwali is an annual chore that most Indian households engage in. From cleaning the ceiling to polishing brassware and silverware, every single aspect is looked into. Some people also like giving their homes a facelift by offering a fresh coat of paint on the walls. It is important to clean your home this way once a year and Diwali presents the perfect opportunity when everyone does it happily.
Cleaning your house
So how exactly do you go about the task of home cleaning? It is simple. You just need to break down the chores and proceed in a systematic manner. Making a list helps.
- Clean and prepare your Pooja room: This is the place where you will carry out the most important ritual of the festival. So, your Pooja room needs to be completely spic and span. Start with cleaning behind the furniture. If there is any storage compartment, empty it out and clean the shelves thoroughly. Dispose of any old item that you may no longer need. Next, you need to clean the ceiling, the walls and the floor properly. Finally, dust the doors and windows to wrap it up.
- Clean the closet: Start with the simple part. Take out all the clothes from your closet and make two piles – one to keep and one to give away. Everyone gets new clothes at this time of the year so it is a good time to discard what you won’t need any more. While empty, dust the closet, clear out any accumulated dirt and clean it properly. Then rearrange your clothes and you are done.
- Clean the kitchen: It may sound surprising, but the kitchen is actually the part of the house that becomes the dirtiest. You therefore need to clean the kitchen thoroughly to eliminate grease, mould and other such unwanted objects that clutter up the place. Start with cleaning behind the appliances as a lot of dirt and dust accumulates in such places. Clean the appliances too. You will be shocked to see how dirty the inside of the microwave and the fridge are! Also scrub the floor and the counters and make the place spic and span.
- Clean the bathrooms: You may clean your bathroom on a regular basis, but deep cleaning it is vital before Diwali. You may have guests coming over, so you need your bathrooms to be in a sparkling condition. Scrub the floor, the sinks, and the tubs properly and use disinfectant cleaners. Also, clear clogged drains and install some pest control measures. Make sure your bathrooms are cleaned and remain clean till the festivities are over, after which you will need another round of cleaning.
- Basic cleaning: You cannot host a grand Diwali party or offer a Puja at home with cobwebs hanging from the ceiling fan! So, run a thorough cleaning of all the fans, the grills, the storage areas and the doors and windows. You also need to deep clean the sofas and mattresses, change broken furniture that may attract dust and throw away the boxes and things you no longer use. This will ensure your house is cleaned inside-out.
Going about the task
Now that you know what you have to do, we come to the question of how to do it all. Well, if you have the time and the resources, you can very well get to the task yourself. But no matter how diligent you are, you can still miss out on a few spots or chores. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to hire professional house cleaning services to do the job for you. Not only is your home deep cleaned, it is also sanitised and left in a sparkling and hygienic state, that too in a matter of hours.
[Related Reading: 5 Point Checklist When Booking Home Cleaning Services]