A hair mask can be your biggest savior if you suffer from dry and damaged hair. A hair mask basically contains nourishing ingredients which hydrate, add shine and softness to hair in the form of deep conditioning. In this post we share some easy homemade hair mask recipes that use simple and easily available all natural ingredients which are probably already lying in your pantry. If you have dry, brittle and damaged hair, these amazing diy hair mask ideas will definitely help nourish, moisturize and boost your mane.
In this post, you will learn :
- Homemade hair mask recipes using just three or less ingredients
- How to make a hair mask at home according to your hair type
Hair Mask For Dry Hair Using Coconut Oil and Honey
Coconut Oil moisturizes and softens hair while preventing breakage due to its high content of fatty acids. It penetrates hair much deeper than a regular conditioner, leaving it soft, silky and shiny hair. Honey is a natural humectant which means that infuses hair with moisture, giving it an extra boost of hydration. Honey is also an emollient giving you smoother hair while moisturizing your scalp to bring back lost softness and shine. Thus, this is a great homemade hair mask for frizzy hair.
- Mix both ingredients in equal proportions in a bowl. Adjust the amount according to your hair length and texture.
- Apply to hair from top to bottom fully coating your hair. If you have an oily scalp, apply this mix from ears down.
- Let it sit for 20 mins
- Rinse it off and shampoo and condition as usual
Egg, Olive Oil and Mayonnaise Mask
This powerful combination works well to moisturize severely dry hair. Mayonnaise adds a heavy dose of nourishment to hair while adding shine back. The high protein content of egg adds to seal moisture. Olive oil is loaded with fatty acids that coat the hair shaft to repair damaged layers and protect the hair from further damage. Mixing these three together gives your hair a triple dose of healing power. This is a good hair mask for dry hair and also works well has a hair mask for hair growth.
- Combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of olive oil and three egg yolks
- Apply this all over your hair.
- Secure your hair on top of your head into a bun and put on a plastic shower cap
- Let this sit for 20 minutes
- Rinse out well without shampoo and condition as usual
For more information about hair care check out our complete Hair Care Guide here
Banana, Honey and Yogurt Mask
This one works well as a hair pack for dry hair because bananas are rich in vitamins, potassium and carbohydrates which work together to help lock in moisture and eliminate frizz. Yogurt has high levels of lactic acid which is excellent to combat dullness and repair damaged hair. Honey adds moisture and hydration to dry hair.
- Combine one mashed banana with two TBS yogurt and 1 TBS honey till they are all blended
- Apply this mix to damp hair from top to bottom.
- Tie your hair up and cover with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask on your hair for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
Egg and Lemon Hair Mask
Eggs are rich in proteins, Vitamins A, D, and E and fatty acids that boost shine in your hair. The acidic nature of lemon absorbs excess oil and grease in the scalp making this hair mask great for ladies with an oily scalp. You can easily make this hair mask at home as both ingredients are available. Not only is it an effective hair mask for dry hair, but it also acts as a cleanser and adds shine to dry and lifeless hair.
- Separate the egg white and yolk and use the white for your mask
- Squeeze half a lemon into the egg white
- Mix them to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply to damp hair from top to bottom.
- Tie hair up and cover with a shower cap
- Let this mask sit for 30-45 minutes and rinse with shampoo and conditioner.