How one’s hair looks and feels is largely a matter of how well you look after yourself. But there are some things that you cannot control. A person born with straight hair will never have natural curls or vice versa. While many straight-haired people would love to flaunt curls, but actually having curly hair can be quite a hassle. Managing natural curly hair is a job that is never quite done. People born with curly hair slowly learn to manage their hair well. But some people acquire curly hair at a later stage in life, usually due to drastic changes in their diet, lifestyle, hormones, etc.
Many women love their curls and take pride in them but for others, they are unruly and tough to manage. But whether you like it or not, it is important to take care of your curly hair properly to keep it healthy.
Here are a few hair care routine, special treatments, and styling tips for curly hair.
Hair Care Routine
If you have curly hair, there is a good chance that it will be dry and frizzy. Healthy hair, curly or not, will give you a lot of confidence. And contrary to popular belief, they are quite easy to take care of, especially if you use the right products.
- Cleaning Routine: If you do not shampoo your hair regularly, there are chances of developing scalp and hair issues. Make sure to wash your hair at least once a week even if you live in a dry climate. Otherwise, your hair will start to appear greasy and your scalp may become itchy, potentially leading to a scalp infection. Always follow up the shampoo wash with a moisturizing rich conditioner on the length of your hair, leaving the roots, to lock in some moisture. And finally, never ever rub a towel to dry your hair since it leads to frizz.
- Hair Massage: Regularly massage oil to your scalp and hair to promote blood circulation. Oils such as olive oil, almond oil, castor oil, coconut oil, etc. work well. You can also mix these with aromatherapy oils such as eucalyptus essential oil, rosemary essential oil, lavender essential oil etc. for more benefits. In addition to controlling the frizz, an oil massage will also help you relax and calm down.
- Combing and Brushing Routine: No “How to Take Care of Curly Hair” guide will be incomplete without mentioning the importance of combing or brushing your hair regularly. Your scalp produces natural oils that need to be distributed to the length of your hair. The trick is to find a good sized, wide-toothed comb to run through your hair at least once a day. It will keep your hair manageable and also distribute the natural oils from your scalp to your ends and make hair appear healthy and shiny. Most hair brushes have dense bristles that can lead to breakage when you try to detangle your hair and also lead to frizz. You can choose to apply a leave-in hair conditioner to your hair before your comb or brush it to prevent breakage.
Curly hair tend to be dry and frizzy. This is primarily why you need to take special care of them. They need extra moisture and shine since they lack them naturally. Here are a few special treatments for curly hair to help with this.
- Hair Spa: Many hair salons and spas offer specialised treatments for curly hair. Hair spa for curly hair is not very costly and offers great hair benefits including softness. Your hair will be smoother and shinier for days after the treatment. Healthy curly hair always looks great even if you do not spend a lot of time to style it.
- Use Deep Conditioning Masks: In addition to using a good conditioner after every wash, you need to use deep conditioning masks on your hair regularly. You can buy deep conditioning masks from established brands. Special products for curly hair are readily available and will make your hair more manageable. Different masks serve different purposes. So, make sure that you buy them based on your needs – whether you want to add moisture, shine, or just softness.
- Home-Made Mixes: There are plenty of things in your house that you can use to make a homemade hair mask. Eggs, curd, almond milk, honey, olive oil, coconut oil, henna powder, tea, etc. offer plenty of benefits. You can consult a professional or even do your own research to find a few DIY hair mask recipes and make them at home. The added benefit is that these are inexpensive products that you already have in your kitchen.
[Also Read: 3 Super Easy Egg Masks For Beautiful & Healthy Hair]
Styling Your Hair
Curly hair is easy to style if you use the right products to tame the frizz and volume. There are plenty of haircuts and hairstyles for curly hair that work well. Here are a few tips.
- Haircut: Make sure to get a suitable haircut for your preferred hair length. Too many layers do not work for curly hair since the hair naturally has a lot of volume and with added layers, it will gain even more. This rarely looks good. When you select a style or cut, keep in mind how your curly hair will set once it is dry. You cannot expect your dry hair to lay flat and set like your wet hair. After drying, it appears shorter and more voluminous.
- Hair Style: You will struggle with hairstyles that need the hair to be pin straight or sleek. Curly hair is not meant to be those things anyway. Play with the volume of your hair and create beautiful messy buns, braids and ponytails. If you use the right products to manage the frizz, you can let your hair lie naturally on your shoulders and bounce as you move. A leave-in conditioner or non-sticky hair oil could be your best friend.
Whether you have soft curls or tight curls, it is better to work with the strength of your hair type. Since curly hair has more volume, you must take care of them well and not force them to be sleek or straight. Treat your hair right and they will be stunning!